Mikhail's Nausea (Palliative)

June 10, 2016 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Mikhail Collins
DOB
26/03/1954 (62 years)
Occupation
Chemist
History
I have inoperable bowel cancer and have less than 3 months left. I do not thing I deserve this and feel quite horrible about it. I do not engage with student. The bowel cancer has been managed conservatively and apart from some rectal bleeding and severe less of weight (10kg in 3 months), I have had no symptoms until now.

I have now been feeling incredibly nauseated for 3 weeks and have vomited my food on several occasions, with no blood present. I am also hardly eating as I have severe loss of appetite: single fruit for breakfast, half a jacket potato for lunch, usually skip dinner. I have had no other symptoms. If directly asked, spicy foods tend to make it worse. I have tried eating less spicy food. I want to know what's causing it and how I can sort it out as I don't want to die feeling this unwell. I also want my appetite to return and wish for suggestions on what I can do to eat properly and prevent further weight loss.
Past Medical History
Nil
Drug History
Paracetamol
Family History
Father and brother with bowel cancel.
Social History
I drink 5-6 pints of alcohol daily. I know this is above the limit but don't see the point of cutting down. I do not realise that nausea and vomiting may be due to excessive alcohol. I receive support from my neighbour with shopping and am able to cope with my daily activities with the help of carers that come three times per day. I am not spiritual.

Introduces yourself
0
1

Confirms name & age of patient
0
1

Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1

Gains consent
0
1

Briefly clarifies long term diagnosis, management and prognosis
0
1

Asks open question
0
1

Onset and time course of anorexia
0
1

Duration and changes to anorexia
0
1

Exacerbating/alleviating factors of anorexia
0
1

Clarifies what patient eats
0
1

Asks about weight loss
0
1

Assesses volume
0
1

Checks if there is any blood
0
1

Establishes onset and number of events
0
1

Asks if there were any triggering events
0
1

Specifically screens for NSAID overuse (peptic ulcer)
0
1

Screens red flags of dysphagia, melaena, loss of appetite and weight loss
0
1

Screens for pain
0
1

Screens for breathlessness
0
1

Screens for constipation
0
1

Screens for anorexia
0
1

Elicits past medical history
0
1

Elicits drug history
0
1

Checks for allergies
0
1

Establishes what patient has tried so far for symptoms
0
1

Discusses anorexia management (frequent small meals, supplements/dexamethasone)
0
1

Discusses nausea & vomiting management (small meals/avoiding trigger foods, antiemetics)
0
1

Suggests to patient that they may need further tests to identify cause (giving examples)
0
1

Asks about spiritual or religious beliefs and whether support is wanted
0
1

Asks about social support and mentions services available (e.g. McMillan)
0
1

Explores and responds to ideas
0
1

Explores and responds to concerns
0
1

Explores and responds to expectations
0
1

Shows empathy
0
1

Avoids jargon
0
1

Summarises back to patient
0
1

Thanks patient
0
1

Patient global score
0
1
2