Charles' Chest Pain

December 06, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Charles Riley
DOB
11/04/1989 (25 years)
Occupation
History student
History
I am very untalkative and give single word answers. 3 days ago I began experiencing pain under my left nipple. It is a sharp stabbing pain. The pain does not move anywhere. It is better when I am resting and worse when I am lifting things. If asked specifically, I admit it is worse when I press it and that it began right after I went gym for the first time. It is about 4/10 severity. I have no other symptoms.
Past Medical History
I had my appendix removed 3 years ago. Nil else.
Drug History
I take vitamin A, C and D supplements. I want to know what other supplements I should take to remain healthy.
Family History
My mother killed herself, but she was otherwise healthy and I don't know my father.
Social History
I have been in foster care for 2 years. I smoke 10 a day and drink heavily on the weekends. I smoke cannabis most weekdays.

Introduces yourself
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Establishes site
0
1
Asks about onset
0
1
Elicits character of pain
0
1
Asks if pain radiates
0
1
Excludes associated symptoms including fever, cough, nausea, shortness of breath and palpitations
0
1
2
Enquires about exacerbating factors including physical activity, lying down, coughing and chest tenderness
0
1
2
Enquires about alleviating factors including rest, leaning forward, painkillers
0
1
Asks patient to rate severity of pain
0
1
Asks about previous chest pain
0
1
Asks about recent illnesses
0
1
Asks specifically for recent illness, surgery and calf pain or leg swelling
0
1
2
Asks about any family history of disease
0
1
Asks specifically if any family members have had any pulmonary embolisms or clots
0
1
2
Establishes any drugs patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient smokes, drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
2
Asks about diet and lifestyle
0
1
Asks about any recent travel
0
1
Elicits patients occupation
0
1
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (musculoskeletal injury, anxiety, pericarditis etc)
0
1