Ramsay's Breathlessness

November 23, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Ramsay Tucker
DOB
13/08/42 (72 years)
Occupation
Retired Mechanic
History
For the last 2 months I have been feeling more breathless, particularly when I do any form of activity. I can only walk around 50 metres now where as 3 months ago I was fine! I don't feel breathless when I have been resting though unless I'm lying down when it can get so bad I wake up gasping for breath. I haven't noticed any wheeze or other odd breath sounds. I have a cough with some frothy sputum but no blood. Also been feeling some nausea from time to time. I have also had some leg swelling for around the same time. I deny any other symptoms including chest pain, palpitations, fever, night sweats or weight loss.
Past Medical History
Previous heart attack 4 years ago. Hypertension, diabetes, high blood cholesterol. Nil else.
Drug History
Aspirin, Ramipril, Simvastatin
Family History
Father died of heart attack at 60. Nil else.
Social History
I am an ex-smoker that used to smoke 10 a day for 40 years. Nil alcohol or recreational drug use. I am having a lot of trouble with my daily activities. I cannot shop or dress myself among many other things.

Introduces self
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden)
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness
0
1
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat
0
1
2
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night
0
1
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest
0
1
2
Asks about any recent illness or surgery or previous shortness of breath
0
1
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further
0
1
2
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present
0
1
Asks for ankle oedema
0
1
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms
0
1
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness
0
1
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness
0
1
2
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years
0
1
2
Asks about past medical history (specifically COPD and heart attacks)
0
1
2
Asks about any family history of disease
0
1
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Elicits patients occupation and any possible exposure to asbestos
0
1
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently
0
1
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living
0
1
2
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (congestive heart failure, valve disease, nephrotic syndrome)
0
1