Korvin's Breathlessness

November 22, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Korvin Wuest
DOB
14/03/93 (21 years)
Occupation
Student
History
I have exams coming up and I am very anxious about them. I believe I have the flu and I need antibiotics otherwise I will not be able to revise. I claim that it just will not go (if pressed has lasted 3 months and is only getting worse). I feel breathless a lot of the time, especially outside in the cold or at night where my chest feels a little tight too. Nights are really bad because I also cough so much but I don't bring up any sputum or blood. I always get infections every winter, I don't know why, but I wasn't this bad last winter. If specifically asks admits to an odd sound when I breathe out which I cannot describe. Denies any history of eczema, fever, contact with animals, contact with people with similar symptoms, travel, fainting and any other symptoms.
Past Medical History
Hayfever. Nil else including no recent surgery
Drug History
Paracetamol for recent symptoms. Nil else
Family History
Younger sister with eczema. Nil else.
Social History
Moved to a new flat in 2 months ago (October) where a flatmate currently smokes. I believe I would have good support from flatmates should I have an asthma attack. Nil smoking, drugs, alcohol.

Introduces yourself
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden)
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness
0
1
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat
0
1
2
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night and seasonal variation
0
1
2
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest
0
1
2
Asks about any recent illness or surgery or previous shortness of breath
0
1
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further
0
1
2
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present
0
1
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms or sick animals
0
1
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness
0
1
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness
0
1
2
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years
0
1
2
Asks about past medical history (specifically hayfever, eczema)
0
1
2
Asks about any family history of disease (specifically eczema, asthma)
0
1
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies or any new pets
0
1
2
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Elicits patients occupation
0
1
2
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently
0
1
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living
0
1
2
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (asthma, pneumonia, allergic rhinitis)
0
1