Stoyan's Breathlessness

November 13, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Stoyan Vanfossen
DOB
04/07/42 (72 years)
Occupation
Retired ship worker
History
I am a slow and soft spoken man. I have had worsening non-productive cough and breathlessness for about 2 years. Now I can't stand it and need it fixed. There isn't any blood when coughing, it affects me all of the time and isn't worse at any time of day. The breathlessness is mainly when I exert myself but nothing else makes it worse or better. I haven't got any issues sleeping flat nor do I wake up gasping for breath. I have not noticed any hoarseness of voice or changes to sensation or weakness in my arms or hands. I have not had any fever but I have had a little weight loss of 2kg over 6 months, felt a bit under the weather, fatigued and some joint and muscle pain but then I am quite old now. I have not had any other symptoms including swelling of my legs, palpitations, chest pain or rash.
Past Medical History
Benign enlargement of prostate and hypertension. Denies childhood infection of whooping cough.
Drug History
Ramipril
Family History
Father had type 2 diabetes, had 2 strokes, heart attack but died of bowel cancer. My mother had depression because her parents died in a car accident, underactive thyroid, type 2 diabetes and hypertension
Social History
Nil smoker, alcohol or recreational drugs. I live on the second floor and I am finding it difficult to even leave the house, cook, get ready in the morning. I need help desperately.

Introduces self
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden)
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness
0
1
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat
0
1
2
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night
0
1
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest
0
1
2
Asks about any recent illness or previous shortness of breath
0
1
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further
0
1
2
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present
0
1
Asks for ankle oedema
0
1
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms
0
1
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness
0
1
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness
0
1
2
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years
0
1
2
Asks about past medical history (specifically COPD and heart attacks)
0
1
2
Asks about any family history of disease (specifically asthma, lung cancer, fibrosis)
0
1
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Elicits patients occupation and any possible exposure to asbestos
0
1
2
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently
0
1
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living
0
1
2
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (fibrosis, asthma, COPD, lung cancer)
0
1