Jung's Breathlessness

November 18, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Jung Trombley
DOB
19/01/47 (67 years)
Occupation
Taxi driver
History
For at least 8 months I have been experiencing worsening shortness of breath, excessive coughing and I have been producing a lot of mostly clear sputum which is occasionally green. If pressed this is above what I usually do as a smoker. I can only walk about 200 metres now but I'm not surprised by this as I am old. I also notice that I'm wheezing so I must have asthma. I deny any other symptoms including chest pain, waking up at night gasping for breath, palpitations, fainting, weight loss, night sweats and fever.
Past Medical History
Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure for 5 years controlled by diet alone
Drug History
Vitamin D tablets
Family History
Father had heart attack at 70 years. Nil else
Social History
In third floor flat with no lift. I struggle to get shopping and therefore also cook for myself. I am okay with all other activities. My neighbour sometimes helps me with food. I smoke 40 a day and have done so all my life since I was 18. I drink occasionally. I smoked a lot of cannabis during my teenage years.

Introduces yourself
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Asks about onset (gradual/sudden)
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to breathlessness
0
1
Enquires about exacerbating factors including exertion, chemicals/pollen, lying flat
0
1
2
Asks about variability over the day: constant/progressively worse/worse in the morning or night
0
1
Enquires about severity by asking about exercise tolerance on flat and up stairs and on rest
0
1
2
Asks about any recent illness or previous shortness of breath
0
1
Asks for cough and sputum and if present explores further
0
1
2
Asks for orthopnoea and paroxyasmal nocturnal dyspnoea and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for added breath sounds such as wheeze and if present explores further
0
1
Asks for chest pain and characterises chest pain if present
0
1
Asks for ankle oedema
0
1
Asks for any fever or contact with anyone with similar symptoms or sick animals
0
1
Asks for any palpitations or dizziness
0
1
Checks for red flags: haemoptysis, weight loss, night sweats and hoarseness
0
1
2
Checks if patient is current or ex-smoker and number of pack years
0
1
2
Asks about past medical history (specifically hayfever, eczema, COPD and heart attacks)
0
1
2
Asks about any family history of disease (specifically eczema, asthma, lung cancer/fibrosis)
0
1
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Elicits patients occupation and any possible exposure to asbestos
0
1
2
Asks if patient has travelled anywhere recently
0
1
Explores impact of shortness of breath on activities of daily living
0
1
2
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (COPD, asthma, lung cancer, pneumonia)
0
1