Focussed History Take

November 05, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Andrew Clark
DOB
09/11/1963 (52 years)
Occupation
Financial director
History
I am quite frustrated to have been kept waiting, as I am very important within my firm and cannot afford to waste time. I have been experiencing pain in the centre of my chest for 2 months, however I do not think this is a big deal. It affects me when I exert myself, doing things such as running to catch a bus or walking briskly particularly when it is cold. Once I sit down, the pain resolves quite quickly. The pain has worsened over the last 2 months and is about 4-5/10, however it does not occur at rest. The pain does not move anywhere. I have not had any shortness of breath, palpitations, nausea, vomiting, cough, fever or any other symptoms. 
Past Medical History
I have never been tested for diabetes or had my cholesterol checked. My blood pressure is high so I have been trying to cut down on my salt. I have no other medical conditions.
Drug History
Nil
Family History
My parents both had diabetes. My mother died of a stroke and my father died of a heart attack in his early fifties. I don't have any siblings. There are no other medical conditions that run in the family.
Social History
I smoke 20 cigarettes a day. I have to drink quite frequently when I see clients or go out after work. I am not sure exactly how much I drink but it's probably not a lot. I don't take any recreational drugs. I don't exercise much and my diet consists of a lot of take outs because I am very stressed for time.

Introduces yourself
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Establishes site
0
1
Asks about onset
0
1
Elicits character of pain
0
1
Asks if pain radiates
0
1
Asks for nausea and sweating
0
1
2
Asks for shortness of breath
0
1
Asks for palpitations
0
1
Excludes loss of consciousness and dizziness
0
1
2
Excludes heartburn
0
1
2
Asks for fever, cough
0
1
Asks for heartburn/abdominal pain
0
1
Enquires about exacerbating factors including physical activity
0
1
Enquires about alleviating factors including rest
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to pain over time
0
1
Checks severity of pain
0
1
Asks about previous chest pain
0
1
Asks about recent illness and past medical history
0
1
2
Asks specifically for previous heart disease, stroke, diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension and asthma
0
1
Asks about any family history of disease
0
1
Asks specifically if any family members have had cardiac disease below <55 years, cardiac disease, pulmonary embolism or sudden death
0
1
Establishes any drugs patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient smokes, drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Asks about diet and lifestyle
0
1
Elicits patients occupation
0
1
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
2
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1
Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (angina pectoris,  aortic valve disease, myocardial infarction)
0
1