Dwight's Headache

November 10, 2015 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
Name
Dwight Newman
DOB
13/08/1992 (22 years)
Occupation
English student
History
I’ve had a continuous headache today. The headache started gradually and has got worse; it is all over and feels dull and radiates down the back of my neck. I didn’t have any warning of the headache. If pressed, I admit to an untreated chest infection for a few days prior to onset of headache. The light makes it worse but nothing else changes it at all. If asked directly, I admit to a red spotty rash, which I haven't checked with a glass. I also have neck stiffness and fever. I tried paracetamol but that did not help. I do have nausea but it isn’t worse in the morning or when I strain myself whilst coughing/sneezing. I have no weakness or loss of sensation or have I lost consciousness. I have not travelled abroad recently nor have a history of trauma. No previous headache or other symptoms
Past Medical History
Nil
Drug History
Nil. Allergy to penicillin causing anaphylaxis.
Family History
Nil
Social History
I don't smoke or drink or have I ever taken recreational drugs. I just want some strong painkillers to go home with. I don't wanted to be admitted to hospital

Introduces self
0
1
Confirms name & age of patient
0
1
Explains reason for consultation & builds rapport
0
1
Gains consent
0
1
Asks open question
0
1
Establishes site
0
1
Asks about onset
0
1
Elicits character of pain
0
1
Asks if pain radiates (specifically asks for next stiffness)
0
1

Enquires about exacerbating factors including coughing, straining, light, sound
0
1
2
Enquires about alleviating factors including painkillers
0
1
Asks about duration and changes to pain over time
0
1
Checks severity of pain
0
1
Asks for nausea and vomiting
0
1
Asks for rash and recent illness
0
1
Asks for visual disturbances such as loss of vision, zigzag lines, flashing lights or haloes
0
1
Asks for any warning or aura before headache
0
1
Asks for any eye watering, discharge and floaters
0
1
Asks for triggers such as period, stress, chocolate, cheese or wine
0
1
Checks for loss of sensation, coordination impairment, weakness, seizures
0
1
Asks about past medical history
0
1

Asks about any family history of disease
0
1
Establishes any drugs or over the counter medication patient is on
0
1
Asks if patient has any allergies
0
1
Asks if patient smokes, drinks or takes recreational drugs
0
1
Elicits patients occupation
0
1
Explores and responds to ideas
0
1
Explores and responds to concerns
0
1
Explores and responds to expectations
0
1
Shows empathy
0
1
Avoids jargon
0
1

Summarises back to patient
0
1
Thanks patient
0
1
Patient global score
0
1
2
Gives reasonable differential diagnosis (meningitis, subarachnoid haemorrhage and non-classical (without aura) migraine etc)
0
1